HOW CAN I HELP YOU?
Volunteers… Connecting People and Places!
Being a volunteer at the How Can I Help You? project means a unique opportunity to interact with those who visit the city of Braga and help them in obtaining directions, information, tips and others that will improve their visiting experience whilst in Braga.
How Can I Help You in Numbers (in 2018/2019)
Hours of Volunteer Work
Make a difference! Join our friendly and highly motivated team of volunteers providing event and local information to our visitors!
What do our volunteers say about our project?
“I enjoyed interacting with other cultures and countries, I learned new words in different languages!”
“I liked to feel that people were happy and felt good with our ‘welcome’ initiative.”
What is it?
‘How Can I Help You?’ is a volunteer project conceived and promoted by the company Creative Zone as a joint initiative with the Municipality of Braga, the language school International House Braga and the local retail association AEB – Associação Empresarial de Braga.
The purpose of this project is to help those who visit the city of Braga in obtaining directions, information, tips and others that will help improve their visiting experience whilst in Braga. It is a ‘walking aid’ provided by volunteers (language students at International House Braga) who will be walking in pairs in the historical centre, complementing the information that visitors can obtain from the Tourism Information Points.
Its first edition took place in 2018 during the ‘Semana Santa’ (Holy Week) festivities, the city’s most significant tourism peak. Our volunteers were the ‘friendly face’ in the streets of the city centre answering questions from tourists and helping to show the world the very best that Braga has to offer.
How does it work?
Based around a central information point – The Tourist Office – teams of 2 volunteers each sign up for a 2-hours shift in which they interact with visitors on a range of topics such as the quickest route from A to B, suggestions for things to do in the area and information about wider Braga offerings e.g. museums, exhibitions, monuments, etc.
Why are we doing it?
- … we promote the city by humanizing the assistance in the city centre in an innovative way in terms of local partnerships;
- … we stimulate an interest in the knowledge about the city in young people, making them (even more) its ambassadors;
- … we provide a unique opportunity to apply language knowledge and skills obtained in the classroom in the natural environment where they interact with the city’s visitors;
- … we help build an image of a city that does not confine information to tourist offices, but goes out to meet the tourists in the places where they have their doubts;
- … we have a specialised approach in the teaching of foreign languages and we encourage the contact of our students with the terrain;
- … because this is a unique combined learning experience for our students: connecting the learning of a foreign language and territory!
- … we love Braga and we want those who visit us to also come because they have been welcomed by our volunteer students.
Why should you enrol?
- … you will be part of this rewarding programme and help to show the world all that our city has to offer;
- … you will be interacting with visitors from many different nationalities;
- … you will practice the language(s) you are learning in a real context;
- … you will gain experience of customer service and tourist information in a fun and supportive environment;
- … you will be participating in a civic volunteer activity that enhances the image of your city;
- … it is a unique opportunity to get to know your city, its history, its streets, its monuments and points of interest:
- … you will receive a participation certificate after the project;
- … you will receive a really great t-shirt and a cap that you can keep;
- … you will be entitled to a refreshment per shift in associated cafes;
- … helping others is a wonderful feeling;
- … it will be FUN!
What is expected from a volunteer?
- Volunteer for at least a minimum of 2 shifts (4 hours) participation in the program;
- Attend the training sessions on March, the 30th or April, the 6th plus the IH training course (dates of IH training courses to be confirmed);
- Help to make each interaction special, personable and memorable;
- Assist anyone who asks a question in a helpful and friendly way;
- Be willing to learn more about the location and beyond according to the circuit(s) to be assigned to the volunteer;
- Have an approachable, confident and outgoing personality;
- Have a self-motivated and pro-active attitude;
- Have a good level of conversational English or other language other than just Portuguese;
- Willingness to work as a team and offer help to others;
- Careful presentation and good manners;
- Wear the project’s t-shirt, cap and name pin during the shift in a visible way;
- Must present himself/herself at the facilities of the Braga Tourist Office 15 minutes before his/her shift starts;
- At the end of the route, he/she must return to the Braga Tourist Office to register the end of his/her activity;
- Engage with the social media channels of the program (instagram, facebook, youtube) by posting photographs and contents that will help promote and communicate the project;
- Have Fun and Learn ☺